Univ. of French Polynesia
University of French Polynesia – UPF
Created by a decree of May 29, 1987, the university was originally called French Pacific University and was split between two sites, one located in New Caledonia (now University of New Caledonia) and the other in Tahiti. The administrative headquarters of the university was in Papeete. Both centers have become autonomous with the Decree No. 99-445 of 31 May 1999.
The University of French Polynesia is based in Outumaoro, Punaauia, Tahiti. The number of students is growing steadily, with a significant increase of over 60% since 1999, and so has the range of course offerings.
Every university is a place of learning where students are preparing their future careers. As well, every university is a place for research. So it must ensure proper training. Teachers are also researchers. Faculty members are associate professors and full professors who have each a specialty area. Depending on their specialty, they are part of research teams. The University of French Polynesia has five laboratories:
- Governance and Island Development (GDI),
- Traditional and Contemporary Societies in Oceania (Eastco)
- Geopole of the South Pacific (GEPASUD)
- Algebraic Geometry with applications to the Information Theory (GAATI)
- A Joint Research Unit « Pacific Island Ecosystems » (UMR-EIO), in partnership with IRD, Ifremer and Louis Malardé Institute.